Sunday 10 August 2014

Glaslyn

Had another trapping session at Glaslyn last night. Thermometer told me it didn't drop below 12c but a really cold, strong wind made it feel very much colder. Plenty flying about but most things blown straight past the traps! 30 species in total - half of which new to the site.

As I arrived on site, I found I'd somehow left both my notebook and phone at home (my only two possible means of keeping a species list). Decided put the traps out and leave them on while making the two hour round trip home! 

When I returned at midnight, the traps had caught pretty much all they were going to and the more notable records were:
  • Neglected Rustic. 8 caught: first county record since 2008. Probably a species which has been overlooked on moorland in the past.
  • Haworth's Minor. Another under-recorded moorland species. About 12 came to the traps.
  • Anomalous. None recorded at the MVs but about 15 between the actinics. I've noticed this with the species before: definite preference for actinic light.
  • Striped Twin-spot Carpet - another overlooked moorland species. Just one was seen.
  • Northern Rustic. Very few county records. A moth found in rocky moorland areas. One was recorded near to scree slops.
  • A single, rather worn, Ashworth's Rustic. It seems clear that by August at Glaslyn, AR has pretty much reached the end of its flight season.
  • Acleris caledoniana - once again a moorland species with very few records in the county.

Left the site at about 3am and when doing so saw what I can only presume was a nightjar on the reserve track; Mike tells me it is a rather under-recorded species in the county.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that is what I call commitment - a two hour round trip home, for forgotten equipment; I bet you do a better kit check before you go on your next outing!

    What an excellent list of species you managed to record this time, It might have been a bit cold, but it was well worth the effort, well done.


    Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's certainly real dedication Douglas. What a great list of unusual moths - and a nightjar too - great.

    ReplyDelete