Wednesday 9 August 2017

Cors Dyfi - 07/08/17

One of three Rosy Marsh Moth
I headed to Cors Dyfi reserve on Monday night; armed with 7 traps, which I spread across the car park and boardwalk.

I recorded just shy of 100 species. This included the 5th county record of the 'Red Data Book' Rosy Marsh Moth, a species associated with bog myrtle that is probably breeding at the site. Another good macro was Dog's Tooth: the 3rd county record and the first since 2004.

There was a good selection of wetland species including Round-winged Muslin, Crescent, Bulrush Wainscot, Southern Wainscot, Marsh Oblique-barred, Bactra lacteana, Chilo phragmitella and Orthotelia sparganella. The heath traps did very well with Oblique and Devon Carpets.

Images from the site and some of the moths caught, along with the species list can be found below:

Cors Dyfi - 07/08/17

1 comment:

  1. An excellent trap Douglas, considering that the temperature wasn't that great.

    On a personal note, I must say that I'm very pleased that you managed to record the Dog's Tooth, I species I recorded back in 2004, but at the time I didn't have a camera as mine had broken, so the species went without a photo on the website, something that has rather niggled me until now - well done.

    Peter.

    ReplyDelete